Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A madrasah celebrates 80 years

I have always been curious about the madrasah. As I was attending Anglo-Chinese School, a Methodist institution, during secondary school, I was juggling with part-time madrasah studies at Masjid Assyakirin. The interest piqued when I made the short film, AMEEN [2010]*, that completes my anthology called, The Love Trilogy.

*World Premiere; Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival
*Official Selection; Montreal World Film Festival, Hawaii International Film Festival, Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival

Down the line, there have been so many developments with regards to the local madrasah curriculum within the context of the Singapore education system. Their relevance and existence within the current socio-political climate have always been threatened. At present, there are six madrasahs in Singapore that offer full-time curriculums. The oldest, Madrasah Aljunied Al-Islamiah, had recently celebrated their 90th year anniversary in late November 2017.

I was introduced to Madrasah Al-Maarif Al-Islamiah through a mutual friend. I met the administration with zero expectations. My first impression of the staff was one that was very welcoming. Everyone we spoke to had warm dispositions. I remembered one notable incident was when 2 students from the madrasah were assaulted by a mentally-disturbed individual outside their school compound. The school reacted to the incident calmly without much fanfare.

During the discussions, I explained to the administration where I was coming from - that my strength is in narrative storytelling, I proposed that their video steer away from the “typical” corporate video that sells nothing but hardsell data one may find easily on Google. I was pleasantly surprised that my proposal to bring the stories of individuals that went through Al-Maarif, individuals that make Al-Maarif, Al-Maarif - was received constructively.

I was looking for that quintessential element that threads all these stories. I found that in one of the canteen stall operators - an individual the students affectionately called Cik Milah. I found the stories of how the madrasah continued to harness the best regardless of limited resources (compared to secular mainstream schools), and staying positive through the years, intriguing. I find how the students find inspiration from the pioneers, inspiring.

The results of these stories are compiled into a 15-min, beautifully crafted story.



Thank you to the administration of Madrasah Al-Maarif Al-Islamiah for giving me the chance and ibadah to craft their story - 80 years of very important Singapore history. I walked away with a new sense of discovery to the vast progress that Singapore madrasahs have achieved. 

No comments: